Thursday, July 8, 2010

Anyone Know Anything About this Metal AOL Disk?

 I got an email from someone named JD who sent me pictures of a very interesting-looking metal (pewter? Tin? Some other metal?) AOL disk tin. His email about it is below. Anyone remember when this was made, why it was made, or any other info? Pls. email me at juliawilk@aol.com or post here. Thanks!

Julia

 
"Greetings.
 
I have come into possession of an AOL CD in a Case unlike any other I've ever seen, yet can find no information about it.  I was wondering if you can help me identify it.

I can find no reference to a BUNKER HILL TEAM (which seems to have it's own Logo), nor a COMMEMORATIVE GM EDITION.
 
The container unscrews horizontally (note large bolt, inside top).  Seems to be some sort of cast metal, like pewter, and is heavy - on the order of 2.7 pounds.  It is also NON-FERROMAGNETIC.
 
I'm sending this to several Collector Sites in search of information... yours being the first.  Any ideas?
 
Feel free to send me an email with any hard information, or even thoughts, ideas, speculation.

I have many more detailed photos, if interested in seeing them.
 
Regards,
 
JD."


2 comments:

  1. It was a gift to AOL employees who worked on that project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. I have one and I am ready to throw it away. :-)

    ReplyDelete